Background & Role
The ADAPT Centre, (the Centre for Digital Content Technology), hosted by the School of Computer Science & Statistics, is seeking to appoint a full-time Research Engineer.
When web sockets and message queues are what you eat for breakfast, you manoeuvre your way through Amazon's Elastic Cloud like a bicycle messenger through New York City traffic and you can’t think of anything more exciting than building your next web application, then we may have the job for you.
We’re looking for a candidate with at least 3 years of industry experience to join the Design and Innovation Team at Trinity College Dublin. The Design & Innovation Team collaborates with the Centre’s Industry Partners. We develop prototypes and proof-of-concept applications based on the research that is done within ADAPT. Projects take between three and twelve months. You will be working with the best and brightest talent in language technologies, content analytics, data analytics, adaptivity, personalisation, interoperability, translation, localisation and information retrieval. This is a great opportunity for highly motivated individuals to develop applications at the cutting edge of content research and technology. The successful candidate will work in a scrum team and will have exposure to all aspects of project lifecycle from requirements analysis to design, code, test and face-to-face demonstrations to your customers.
ADAPT is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital content and media innovation. Led by TCD, it combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University,University College Dublin, and Dublin Institute of Technology) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 120 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. With €50M in new research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing research team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors and drive back the frontiers of future Web engagement.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will create the guts of the prototypes that are developed for ADAPT’s Industry Partners.
The research engineer will:
- Have a thorough understanding of, and experience with, development of web-based applications.
- Use well-established design patterns and software engineering practices.
- Create Virtual Machines and EC2 instances loaded with the necessary software and application dependencies.
- Implement and develop unit tests of individual software components to ensure functionality and robustness of software applications.
- Extensive experience of Git Hub and Databases.
- Will work closely with UI and UX designers.
- Will be conscientious, self-motivated, eager to learn and driven by curiosity and pride in his/her work.
- Will be organised and keep track of his/her activities.
- Will be working in an agile environment and will be expected to keep his/her team members up to date with the work that is done.
- Document all work and make it easy for his/her team members to understand the code.
- Will have the freedom within the team to develop the applications as he/she sees fit, but with this comes responsibilities.
The position is funded through the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) ADAPT Research Centre.
Candidates appointed to this posts must have a primary degree in Computer Science or a related discipline (essential). The successful candidate will also have a minimum of three years industry experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent to intermediate knowledge of one or more of: Java, C++, PHP, node.js
- Comfortable working with UNIX and Windows operating systems
- Database management skills: MySQL, MongoDb, Neo4j
- Decent knowledge of web application security
- EC2 expertise
- Knowledge of and experience with NLP and Machine Translation is desirable
- Experience of front end frameworks such as Bootstrap is desirable
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design.
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs.
- Experience in releasing code to live production environments.
- Strong team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the team.
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product and technical and research developments.
Appointment will be made on the SFI Team Member Budget Level 2A salary scale at a point in line with Government Pay Policy (€37,750 - €46,255).
Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Friday 15th May, 2015.
Informal Queries to:
Aoife Brady, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates should submit a cover letter (1xA4 page maximum) explaining why you are suitable for the position together with a full curriculum vitae, including the names and contact details of 2 referees (email addresses if possible) to:
Name: Aoife Brady
Email Address: email@example.com
TRINITY COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER