PERCOLATE will focus on three aspects, namely Social and Informal Learning, Informal Learning Metrics/Measurement and Service & Information Interoperability. PERCOLATE is organised into three work areas as follows.
Within the area of Social and Informal Learning (THEME 1), PERCOLATE will research, develop and evaluate three innovative applications which apply a combination of social networking, social search, enhanced (semantic) learning discovery and personalisation to address social and informal learning. More specifically the three research demonstrator applications are as follows:
- A research application involving social (collaborative) search and enhanced (semantic) search to support collaborative discovery and sharing of learner knowledge, experience and resources
- An innovative personalisation (contextualisation) engine to identify, adaptively retrieve and dynamically compose learning materials and present personalised, contextualised and collaborative learning experiences tailored on the immediate needs and context of the learner. This dynamic composition of learning resources and the customisation of social networking services, based on the implicit and explicit learner context, enhances the learners experience by appropriate social and informal learning1 strategies.
- An innovative informal learning capture and recognition tool to help the learner identify and describe informal learning events they experience and to encourage knowledge reinforcement and recognition.
Within the area of Informal Learning Metrics/Measurement (THEME 2), PERCOLATE will:
- Research and develop novel means of collating learner activity and learning achievement within informal (social or community based) collaborative portals and environments. This research will link to the three Social and Informal Learning research demonstrators (THEME 1) which will provide both scenarios for learning measurement and tools for capturing learner activity and achievement. The THEME 2 research outputs will provide additional validation for the Theme 1 demonstrators. Theme 2 research will also integrate with learner activity in external (3rd party) community or collaborative portals e.g. online fora, Twitter, social networking sites etc.
- Define mechanisms for collated learner performance representation, analysis and sharing.
Within the area of Service and Information Interoperability, PERCOLATE will;
- Develop a set of APIs (wrappers, interfaces, proxies) to enable interoperability between the research applications developed in THEME 1 and 2, and key existing commercial eLearning infrastructure e.g. LEs, LMSs etc.
- Define a set of guidelines and techniques to guide interoperability of future research applications.
The key outcomes of PERCOLATE will be:
- The development and evaluation of three complimentary research demonstrator applications to support Collaborative Social Learning, Personalised Learning and Informal Reflective Learning
- The development and evaluation of tools to capture and measure informal learning activity and informal learner achievement/performance
- A (federated) model for representing different aspects of a learners informal learning activities and achievement
- A set of demonstrable techniques and implemented APIs to support learner knowledge and performance interoperability
- A set of demonstrable techniques and implemented APIs to support the service interoperability between PERCOLATE research demonstrators and key eLearning infrastructural interfaces e.g. LEs, LMSs