Community Based Policy Management
Community Based Policy Management (CBPM) is a novel technology which has been developed at TCD to allow the automated enforcement of an organisation’s high level goals by mapping them into declarative policy rules. It differs from previous policy-based management approaches, in its unique and novel use of the community as the fundamental structural abstraction.
It allows groups within an organisation to form self-managing communities within precisely defined boundaries. Restricting the interconnection of different businesss and IT rules in this way minimises the portion of an organisation’s rule set that a community needs in order to self-manage, while clear providence of rules ensures the causes of conflicts between policies authored in different parts of an organisation are immediately identified thereby quickening their resolution. This allows an organisation’s structure to evolve over time as new communities with varying levels of autonomy are formed and new resources are delegated between them.
The implementation of CBPM has been developed in a way that it can be made available to online communities as a web service. This allows the online community, and its sub-communities, to manage their IT resources through the system, and most importantly, to collaboratively manage it organisational structure. This provides support for decentralised, autonomous management of shared resources in such a way that it mirrors the structure of the community as it evolves.
This technology is being applied in a number of research areas, including the decentralised management of dynamic access to the radio frequency spectrum (see CTVR plus a short explanatory video ), ubiquitous computing environments (see M-Zones ) and the management of online-communities.
- Lewis, D., Feeney, K., Empowering Online Communities to Manage Change - How to Build Viable Organisations Online , ERCIM News 72, January 2008, Special theme: The future Web
- Feeney, K.; Lewis, D.; Wade, V.; Roles Considered Harmful in Policy-based Management for Dynamic Organisations , 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, 2007. IM '07. , May 21 2007-Yearly 25 2007 Page(s):741 - 744
- Lewis, D., Feeney, K., O'Sullivan, D., Integrating the Policy Dialectic into Dynamic Spectrum Management , IEEE Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DySpan 2007), Dublin, Ireland, 17-20 April 2007, 2007
- Feeney, K., Lewis, D., Wade, V., Handling Dynamic Organizational Change with Community-Based Policy Management , (2007) 8th IEEE International Workshop on Policy (POLICY 2007), Bologna, Italy, 13-15 June 2007, 2007
- Feeney, K., Lewis, D., Argyroudis, P., Nolan, K., O'Sullivan, D. (2007), Grouping Abstraction and Authority Control in Policy-based Spectrum Management, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on New Frontiers in Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DySPAN'07), April 2007.
- Lewis, D., Feeney, K., Foley, K., Doyle, L., Forde, T., Argyroudis, P., Keeney, J., O'Sullivan, D., Managing Policies for Dynamic Spectrum Access , 1st International IFIP TC6 Conference on Autonomic Networking (AN2006), Paris, France, September, 2006, LNCS 4195, Springer, 2006, pp285 - 297
- Quinn, K., Kenny, A. Feeney, K., Lewis, D., O'Sullivan, D., Wade, V. (2006), A Framework for the Decentralisation and Management of Collaborative Applications in Ubiquitous Computing Environments , in Proceedings of IFIP/IEEE Network Operations and Management Systems, Vancouver 2006
- Lewis, D. O'Sullivan, D., Feeney, K. Keeney, J. Power, R. (2006), Ontology-based Engineering for Self-Managing Communications , 1st IEEE International Workshop on Modelling Autonomic Communications Environments (MACE 2006), Dublin, Ireland, 25-26 October 2006, edited by W. Donnelly, R. Popescu-Zeletin, J. Strassner, B. Jennings, S. van der Meer , multicon verlag, 2006, pp81 - 100
- Feeney, K., Quinn, K., Lewis, D., O'Sullivan, D., Wade, V. (2005), Relationship-Driven Policy Engineering for Autonomic Organisations , in Proceedings of 6th IEEE International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems, Stockholm, Sweden, pp 89-98, June 2005
- Lewis, D., O'Donnell, T., K. Feeney, Brady, A., Wade, V. (2004), Managing User-centric Adaptive Services for Pervasive Computing , in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC'04), May 17th-18th 2004, New York City, USA, pp 248-255
- Lewis, D., Brady, A., Carey, K., Conlan, O., Feeney, K., Higel, S., O'Donnell, T., O'Sullivan, D., Quinn, K., Wade V. (2004), Managed Person-centric Adaptive Services for Smart Spaces, in Proceedings of eChallenges, e2004 conference, Vienna, Austria, IOS Press, Part 1, pp 42-49, 27th - 29th October 2004.
- Lewis, D., Feeney, K., Tiropanis, T., Courtenage, S. (2004), An Active, Ontology-driven Network Service for Internet Collaboration, in Proceedings of the 1st IFIP TC6 WG6.6 International Workshop on Autonomic Communication, WAC, Berlin, Germany, October 18-19, 2004
- Lewis, D., Feeney, K., Tiropanis, T., Courtenage, S. (2004), An Active, Ontology-driven Network Service for Internet Collaboration, in Proceedings of Workshop on the Application of Semantic Web Technologies to Web Communities at ECAI'04, Valencia, Spain, 22nd-27th Aug 2004.
- Lewis, D., Feeney, K., Carey, K., Tiropanis, T., Courtenage, S. (2004), Semantic-based Policy Engineering for Autonomic Systems , in Proceedings of 1st IFIP WG6.6 International Workshop on Autonomic Communication - Autonomic Communication Principles, Berlin 18-19 October 2004
- Feeney, K., Lewis, D. (2004), Community Based Policy Management for Smart Spaces , in Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop on Managing Ubiquitous Communications and Services (MUCS), Dublin, Ireland, December 13-14, 2004
- Feeney, K., Lewis, D., Wade, V. (2004), Policy Based Management for Internet Communities , in Proceeding of IEEE 5th International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks, IBM Thomas J Watson Research Center, New York, USA, pp 23-34, June 2004
- Lewis, D., O'Donnell, T., Feeney, K., Brady, A. (2003) Person Centric Service Adaptation. First International Workshop on Management of Ubiquitous Communications and Services, MUCS 2003, Waterford, Ireland, December 11, 2003