2 x Postdoctoral Research Fellow positions (Full-time)
Post Status: 12 to 30 month contract
Department/Faculty: ADAPT Centre, Centre for Digital Content Platform Research, Trinity College Dublin (http://www.adaptcentre.ie)
Location: Main Campus
Salary: €37,750 to €46,255 per annum commensurate with qualifications &
experience and will appointed in line with Government Pay Policy
Closing Date: 15th January 2015
The ADAPT Centre, the centre for digital content platform research, seeks to appoint two
Postdoctoral Research Fellows to conduct research in the areas of:
- Position #1: Linked Data Interlinking and Semantic Mapping
The researcher will be responsible for progressing the semantic-based modelling and
integration mapping research agenda. This will involve supporting the evaluation of
uplift of models into a common semantic model needed for managing the content,
linguistic and knowledge assets that underpin intelligent customer engagement across
global markets. The postdoc will be involved with other researchers in the design of a
real-time mapping integration framework and will drive the usage and evaluation of
technical artefacts developed to the federated and heterogeneous contexts of
selected projects within the Centre.
- Position #2: Open Data Management for Language and Knowledge Resources:
The interlinking of linguistic knowledge, conceptual ontologies and language corpora
in large scale public data sets is promising to revolutionise effectiveness and accuracy
of language technology in support of multi-lingual customer engagement. Key data
management issues remain to be reolved however. This role will therefore design and
evaluate optimisations in data vocabularies and distributed data infrastructure that
balance; open data exchange and interlinking between organsiations; flexible data
access control that complies data protection and licesing rules; and data storage,
access and query performance
Reporting to a Principal Investigator, the successful candidates will work within a large group of
Postdoctoral Researchers, PhD students and Software Developers. The post-holders will work
closely with academics and key research staff to research a range of advanced multilingual and
multimodal web content processing applications that showcase cutting edge language,
knowledge and interaction technologies.
- We live in a world of global digital connectivity where individuals, communities and
businesses are communicating globally at incredible speed, in enormous volumes,
across the world’s languages and over an ever-increasing range of devices.
- ADAPT’s vision is to leverage this torrent of digital content to enable unprecedented
levels of global engagement among people, companies and communities.
- This is achieved through a unique collaboration between world-class research groups in
multilingual natural language processing (NLP), multimedia content analysis and
transformation, personalisation and multimodal interaction.
- Within ADAPT and its affiliated group of international and commercialsiation projects
projects, these posts will deliver the advances in linked data and semantic technologies
that are key to efficiently manage the content, language and knowledge assets that
underpin intelligent global customer engagement.
Why join ADAPT@TCD?
1. Work on hard problems in an interdiscplinary and exciting research environment. The
ADAPT Centre combines expertise of researchers at Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City
University, University College Dublin, and Dublin Institute of Technology. It brings together more
than 150 researchers which collectively have won more than €100m in competitive research
funding and have an international track record of bridging research and innovations to more than
140 companies. With €50m in new research funding from SFI and industry, ADAPT research and
technologies will help businesses in all sectors to manage, personalise and deliver digital content
2. Work in a university where excellence of research is valued.Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is
Ireland’s premier university and is ranked in 71st position in the top 100 world universities by the
QS World University Rankings 2014.
3. Work in a centre focussed on advancing your career. Whether you you want to take an
academic, industrial , or entrepreneurial career path, ADAPT prides itself in the support and
mentoring that enables all its postdocs to reach their full potential. This year alone its postdoc-to-
PI programme has helped three postdocs transition to be Principal Investigators on their own
H2020 projects, while four other have recently won funding with ADAPT support to realise the
commercialisation of their research through spin outs and licensing.
Standard duties of the Post
The ideal candidates for these positions will have:
• A PhD in Computer Science or a related discipline (essential).
- A strong record of international peer-reviewed publication in good quality international
- Research experience in one or more of the following areas would be an advantage:
Linked Data RDF, OWL and other Semantic Web Technologies
Ontology or Data Integration Mapping
Scaling and Evaluating Data Management Solutions
Language Resource management, parallel text, annotated text or multimedia
Rule-based access control
- Experience with some or all of the following would be an advantage: Java, Python, PHP,
- Strong experience with server administration / operations would be an advantage,
especially with Unix/Linux systems and with Web server systems (e.g. Apache, Nginx).
- Good written and oral proficiency in English (essential).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design.
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
- Proven track record of publication in high-quality venues.
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs.
- Experience in releasing code to live production environments.
- Strong team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success
of the team.
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product and
technical and research developments.
- An interest in the commercialisation of research.
Applications by email to Joe Gallagher - email@example.com with subject heading "Postdoctoral
Research Fellow ADAPT" by ** January 15th 2015**, including:
1. A targeted cover letter (600-1000 words) expressing your suitability for a position.
2. A full CV
3. Contact details of three referees (e-mail addresses if possible) who we may contact for a
Information supplied by candidates in their application will be used to shortlist for interview.
**Please Note:** No expenses will be paid for travelling to interview.
Equal Opportunities Policy
Trinity College Dublin is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the
employment policies, procedures and practices which do not discriminate on grounds
such as gender, marital status, family status, age, disability, race, religious belief, sexual
orientation or membership of the travelling community.
This is a pensionable position and the provisions of the Public Service Superannuation
(Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 will apply in relation to retirement age for pension
purposes. Details of the relevant Pension Scheme will be provided to the successful applicant.
Applicants should note that they will be required to complete a Pre-Employment Declaration to
confirm whether or not they have previously availed of an Irish Public Service Scheme of
incentivised early retirement or enhanced redundancy payment. Applicants will also be required
to declare any entitlements to a Public Service pension benefit (in payment or preserved) from
any other Irish Public Service employment.
Applicants formerly employed by the Irish Public Service that may previously have availed of an
Irish Public Service Scheme of Incentivised early retirement or enhanced redundancy payment
should ensure that they are not precluded from re-engagement in the Irish Public Service under
the terms of such Schemes. Such queries should be directed to an applicant’s former Irish
Public Service Employer in the first instance.
Application Procedure Summary
Candidates should submit a cover letter (600-1000 words) expressing your suitability for a
position together with a full curriculum vitae to include the names and contact details of 3
referees (email addresses if possible) by **January 15th 2015** to Joe Gallagher -
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading "Postdoctoral Research Fellow ADAPT".